Tuesday, March 07, 2006

SILLY: In Defense of the Oscars

For the record, I enjoyed the Oscar broadcast a TON. I thought Jon Stewart and his Daily Show-esque antics were hilarious, quick and smart, for once. I laughed loudly and frequently at a party in Philadelphia (thank you Claudia and Cyndi!). I even think 38.8 million viewers seems like a lot, even though all the newspapers say it isn't.

I thought it was funny that whenever the camera flashed to Jack Nicholson and Keira Knightley, it was clear that he got Stewart's jokes, and she didn't.

I thought that honoring Robert Altman was just peachy. Who didn't love MASH and Nashville? He was lovely when he compared his career to the filming of "one long movie" of which some people liked only some parts.


The only injustice -- and it was a big one -- was the voters' change of heart about Brokeback Mountain. This film stays with me, and I am only sorry that it didn't in the hearts and minds of the Academy. Those who know me well know that I saw the film twice, because I wanted to visit with young Ennis and Jack again during the beginning part of the film, when they are happy together for those few fleeting moments.

1 Comments:

Blogger Siapiau said...

jenn,

i just had one of those really disappointing conversations where i might have even lost respect for someone.

to make a long story short, i had suggested showing brokeback here in wrangell to my co worker who also happens to be the theater manager and she seemed pretty gung ho about it, wrote to the theater agent right away, and it was hoped to come to town the weekend of the 17th.

well, she (my co worker) just told me that she's been sick about whether or not to show it here, stressing about it non stop ever since i suggested it. basically she doesnt think the town is ready for it, doesnt want to possibly battle with the churches in town who would inevitably make a huge thing about it. i am genuinely pissed and disappointed.

while i realize she is the theater manager, so would bare the grunt of all the backlash, and has lived here longer, so knows the town and politics better, i still think she is not showing it out of fear, and that bothers me so much, because i think the story is beautiful, the acting amazing, and the directing (i've always had a thing for ang lee) a flawless achievement in movie making.

arrrgggghhhh. i have a lot more to say about the matter, so i am actually going to put this in my own blog entry.

love and miss,

~lisa

ps. good job keeping up with your blog.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home