Thursday, March 30, 2006

SILLY: To Denmark, I go!

The sun is out, the stockings have come off, lilacs (my favorite!) are bloomin' and it is officially Spring. SPRING! Who in New York isn't smiling today? Tell me that.



This also means, I hope, that the weather conditions will be good for my flight this evening to Copenhagen. As a result of my fear of flying (or just taking off, really), I'll take whatever good omens I can get. The thing is, my fear is completely and totally irrational, and goes something like this: I think I've used up my "quota of survival" on flights; and since I did so much traveling over the last few years, every flight I take from now on is like gambling with the jumbo jet gods.

After many discussions about this fear, Martin bought me a book put out by Frommer's (the only good guide the place has ever come up with) called Fly Smart, Fly Safe, and before all major takeoffs, I memorize new anxiety-reducing exercises in breathing and muscle tension. Amazingly, one of the suggestions is to wear a rubber band around the palm of your hand and snap it every time you're imagining your fiery death -- a kind of a watered down shock therapy. In case you were wondering, I am not going to do that. It hasn't gotten that desperate yet.

Next time, I'll be posting updates from my adventures across the pond!

Photo of Lilacs and Goldfinches from http://www.elmspuzzles.com/gallery/Bourdet/lilacsgoldfinches.jpg.
Photo of Nyhavn from www.asdreams.org/ 2004/copenhagen_nyhavn.jpg.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenn dear,

have you seen jason jones's pieces on denmark on "the daily show"? there's a link to the first one here:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/jason_jones/index.jhtml

and he just did another one tonight (coincidentally synchronized, i noticed, with your journey!), so watch the above link for more action.

i'd be curious to hear what you/martin think of them.

have fun on your trip!!!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That's exactly what I was talking about. Can't wait to hear more from across the pond.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, where are you? Hope you're having fun! :D

<3
mui mui

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home