Thursday, April 13, 2006

But *I* invented Smell-o-Vision!

In the fifth grade, our room teacher, Ms. Judith Berger, asked us to invent something. I can't say I remember the exact assignment, but I do remember putting together a contact-paper-laminated, comprehensive report on my invention: Smell-O-Vision.

I was inspired by the sight of sizzling bacon on The Cosby Show (and I remember, as many of you will, how Dr. Huxtable's wife, Claire, would never let him eat high cholesterol food!). It looked so darn good (particularly when Theo was allowed to gobble it up under the watchful eye of Claire and Cliff's long face) and I wished I could smell it, too. Wouldn't it be great to smell the burgers and fries at the Max ("Saved By the Bell") or whatever italian dish Tony was cooking on "Who's the Boss?". Smell-A-Vision was a revolution, at least to 10-year-old me.

Well, it seems the Japanese have beaten me to it. Smell-A-Vision is coming to a theater near, um, the Japanese. Scenes from Colin Farrell's "The New World", will be accompanied by corresponding smells released by odor machines located in the back rows of the theater. It does seem odd, though, doesn't it? I can't imagine that America smelled all-that-good during the time of Pocahontas and John Smith's fateful [fictional?] meeting. Of course I wrote about this potential pitfall in my Smell-A-Vision report ("...while we would not want to *smell* a documentary about landfills, selective Smell-A-Vision would not do,"), but it seems as though the only fragrances released with be aromatherapeutic ones, and only during scenes that evoke intense emotion, or when the characters are sharing ze love.

The original report is from the BBC, as you'll see, but I found it on the Fishbowl LA blog just this afternoon. Absolutely AMAZING. Leave it to the Japanese. First the boyfriend pillow, then the lap pillow for men, and now, now Smell-A-Colonial-Movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home