Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I boycott technology.

By writing this post, I am effectively falling into the inevitable trap of complaining via blog, but I'm on the verge of giving up on computers and technology altogether, and going back to the following:

* hand-written letters, telegrams, postcards and "just because cards" to replace email

* typewriters, if necessary, if I need to write something over 500 words

* rotary telephones, because at least you know they're not going to run out of batteries

* analog wristwatches (exclusively), even though I love the Swatch watch I got as a gift upon my departure from Hong Kong

* and finally, CD players. no more MP3 or AIG or whatever sound files you can think of. Good old CDs. And if that doesn't work out, I WILL find my walkman.

Which brings me to my point: my click-wheel, black and white, almost antique-by-now iPod decided to ERASE ITS ENTIRE 37 GIGS worth of music overnight, plugged into the same computer it's always plugged into, charging for the same amount of hours it always does, locked into the same dock, using the same firewire cable. No more music. none. gone. AND, to top it off, neither my iBook at home nor my G4 iMac at work recognizes the iPod anymore. When I plug it in, using any number of ports (USB, Firewire, you name it), *this* encouraging message pops up:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OSX can read. To continue with disk inserted, click Ignore."

That's it. No offer of help from the computer, nothing. When I try to restore the thing on the computer, it still can't be found. I am pretty much ready to give up altogether, on all things created and released after 1997. The frustration, money and hours I spend on my Apple products at the Tekserve computer repair place [though they're VERY good there] just don't seem worth it to me anymore. I think I'm finished.

I guess this also means I have to give up the blog, too, and resort to more traditional means of publication. Wish me luck. Maybe I'll post another one of my clips to make myself feel better, or resort to retail therapy.

That's it. I'm sorry for the rant, but it had to be done. I just give up on the modern age. I'm not cut out for all of this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my recent email fiasco (to which you and, likely, several other readers of this blog bore witness) makes me highly sympathetic to your techno-rant.

telegrams for all, i say.

10:20 PM  
Blogger brad board babe said...

Thank you, Loring. I knew SOMEone would understand.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home