Wednesday, May 24, 2006

green shoes, charity search engines and general do-gooder-ness

The theme of this post is do-gooder-ness online. I have been making purchases and doing things online that will raise money or goods for great causes. And while I know consumerism is not philanthropy, if you're going to buy something, buy it well, right?

I receive a daily email that directed me to a website for Tom's Shoes -- light-as-a-feather canvas slip-ons that are inspired by a traditional Argentinian shoe -- and really liked both the design, and the business concept. You see, when you buy a pair, the CEO and "Chief Shoe Giver", Blake Mycoskie, a young gentleman with big hair, a deep tan and a little bit of chest hair, will donate the same pair to a child in need.

For $38 (+shipping), this seemed like a good deal to me. I got my Toms in the mail last week, and I love them (my color pictured above). They've got flip-flop rubber bottoms, the canvas seems tough, and the bright, visible stitching adds character to the little shoe. In fact, I needed some cheering up today, so my lime green Toms are on their first outing to the office. Every time I look at my feet, I have to smile, because I have GREEN SHOES!

Since I was one of the first people to order these shoes online, they sent me a discount code with my package. Enter 1PAIR4FEET at checkout for $5 off your purchase of Tom's Shoes. And no, I wasn't paid to promote these guys, but I should be!

SECOND. Apparently Yahoo! is powering a website called GoodSearch, where the company will donate a [very] small amount of money towards the charity of your choice every time you use their search engine. Pretty crazy, huh? Well, I guess it's one way to draw internet users away from Google. I found out about it through New York Cares, an organization that helps organize volunteer activities around the crazy work schedule of a typical New Yorker. So, check out GoodSearch.com. It's an interesting idea. I wonder how it will pan out.

Speaking of, um, interesting, my sister, mother and I are all going to be in tomorrow's TV studio audience of Martha Stewart's live morning show, and Michael Bolton's the guest! pray for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home