Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I saw the Da Vinci Code. And liked it.

I went to see Da Vinci Code with my work friend, Melissa, on a rainy Sunday afternoon in New York, and I really enjoyed it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The reviews were terrible; I mean, let's face it: when People magazine, the NY Daily News *and* the NY Times share an opinion about something, you start to suspect that they might actually be right for once. They say Tom Hanks is absent of his usual affable charms [and that he has weird hair], that Audrey Tatou is better as a silent do-gooder than an alarmed cryptologist, and that the film takes longer to watch than the book does to read.

hmph.

Well, I went anyway, because Melissa's friend was playing Mary Magdalene, because we had planned our first "out-of-office" friend date around the film and because she had purchased tickets IN ADVANCE. There was no turning around. Besides, Sunday was an exhausting day of apartment hunting, sporadic rain showers and a trip into Brooklyn. I wanted to see a movie, even if it'd been scorned by virtually all people who know about movies.

I guess we weren't the only ones with the idea. Here's Gawker's fantastic Monday morning post on the topic:


You said it, anonymous Gawker intern.

You know, I'm not really sure why I read criticism at all. I think it might be because I think it's the intellectual thing to do, the thing any college-educated, media-employed young woman *should* do before she goes to enjoy any art or performance. Look, I was a religion major in college -- I was even considering doing a thesis about the Gnostic gospels -- and I know there are major fundamental flaws with Dan Brown's "theory" for the church's "con of man." I know that the movie wouldn't be nearly as popular if there didn't exist this great beach/airplane read whose sales seem to have blown every other book in history (other than the Bible, ironically) out of the water. I know that this book has its naysayers among writers, publishers, organized religions and intellectuals.

But I'm no movie critic. I enjoy movies. I get scared when you're supposed to get scared, I laugh at Ian McKellan playing a silly caricature of a person, I get emotional when elements of family and personal history are EVER introduced. Simple-minded me. I just think it's a great summer film. Sometimes you've got to let your brain relax a little, sit back, enjoy the car chases and the homing devices and the Christian imagery with a tub of popcorn and Milk duds. So that's what I did.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so weird, I JUST came back from watching the Da Vinci Code! It's almost like a sign... a symbol, if you will...

I didn't really like most of it. And that didn't bother me. It's so weird with Dan Brown, because people seem to criticize him like he's supposed to be Leo Tolstoy or something. He's just a guy who writes stories with suspense and "oooh"-moments, that you can read on the beach without getting a headache. And he's brilliant at that! The books has its ups and downs, and so does the movie. I think that was what really annoyed me - that the director didn't take the chance to fix Brown's dramatic/narrative flaws (it must be the first case of complaints that the movie was TOO MUCH like the book...). But I like all that talk of blades and chalices and Merovingians. I think it's cool (as the intellectuals say).

For a £2.50 ticket at Crazy Tuesday at the Movie House, I don't feel very ripped off.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you, Miss Yee, are someone whose taste I trust, I was hoping that I too would like the film. Sadly, I must say I came away agreeing with the critics (most of whom I didn't bother to read until after I saw the movie as I never trust reviews). Perhaps it was partly due to the fact that I had sworn off reading the book and only did so the day before I went to see the movie. Albiet comprised of lack-luster prose, I think the book was too fresh in my mind and it bothered me that the movie (despite what many have said to the contrary) deviated in numerous places that seemed quite avoidable. As for just sitting back and enjoying, I tried that, I even bought popcorn which I never do. Alas, not even Paul Bettany could save the experince for me.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home