Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"peopleblog worth reading", and my sister graduates from COLLEGE!

Well, here's something darn exciting: Jeff Yang, Asian pop columnist for SFGate.com, gave me a more-than-decent shout out in his bi-weekly mailblog! You'll recall from my post, Asian-ness, that Jeff had surveyed his readers about their definition of the word "Asian," and what it has grown to mean in an increasingly fractured and complex social landscape. So I responded, naturally, as I have many thoughts on the topic, and he excerpted from my verbal diarrhea, linking also to this very blog in his email. If you want to check out what resulted from his survey, here is his column this month, "An Asian Occasion." You can subscribe to his mailblog by clicking here.

I first saw Jeff speak at the Asian American Journalist Association's mini-conference in New York, and thought he had some really interesting insights on the role and responsibilities of the blogger. I am extremely flattered to be on his list of "PeopleBlogs Worth Reading."

This post is of a rather more personal nature, as I spent the weekend with my family, and thought, in the theme of Asian-ness, I'd show you a couple of pictures of all of them.

My sister graduated from Boston University on Sunday with a B.A. from the College of Arts and Sciences. hurrah! What was less a cause for celebration was the weather in Boston over the weekend -- in the 40 degree range with the *most* rain Boston's gotten in 10 years or something -- throughout which we had to move both my brother and sister out of their college housing, and sit through an outdoor set of commencement exercises, at which the head of CBS, Les Moonves, was the keynote speaker. It was all very surreal.

This is the happiest my sister looked all weekend.

The scene of the crime:

The players:


We look strangely happy, don't we? Well, I think we're all smiling because of the utter silliness of the situation -- freezing, underdressed -- really the only thing we could do was laugh. Of course, we are so proud of our Sammi, so...congratulations Mei Mei!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenn,

printed off 'An Asian Occasion' and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I've heard you refer to Jeff Yang before in your blog but this is the first time i've looked into his writing.

i have a couple of favorite parts but here is one, "If Asian identity feels diffuse, that's not evidence of vulnerability -- it's a sign of opportunity."

i like that.

miss you as always,

~lisa

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home