Thursday, July 06, 2006

Indy-pendence Day Weekend

Oh, how we love the 4-day weekend, occurring on those intermittent years when Independence day falls on a Tuesday and employers have little choice but to give their employees Monday off, or risk mutiny. (Much respect to all of my friends out there who worked on Monday.) Happy belated July 4th everyone! I hope that wherever you are in the world, you had a great weekend.

While this post will have much less mass appeal than the star-studded one of last week (the Jennifer Ehle fan club webmaster linked to my page, because I attended that event, allllright!), I wanted to share a few images from my weekend on the North Fork. I've been thinking about how easy it is to host guests that are my age, somewhere in between childhood and adulthood: we still know how to entertain ourselves with books, board games and pool toys (yes, that is the same lobster rider we had in the pool this weekend), but we've also learned the art of cleaning up after ourselves and the value of sleep.

Emerson, Jill and Meredith got involved with a kind of fetch-frisbee-pool jump game that a few of us could not be involved with because of potential wardrobe malfunctions (read: two-piece bathing suits). Witness Emerson at the point of contact, having just caught a well-tossed disc a la Meredith:
Over lunch, we continued a conversation about our "Top Five Foods or Meals" as we sat over one of mine, the Sandwich. Since then, I've been thinking about my list, and at this point, it would probably include: * roast beef sandwich * bacon * gnocchi * Hainanese chicken rice * corned beef hash. Does that list strike anyone else as weird?

On our last full day there, Meredith took me and Eliza to a lavender field near the town of Southold, where we picked flowers and wandered the purple ocean of sweet, sweet scents and baked in the sun. It is a tough life. So my greatest hope at this point is to have more weekends just like this. And I wish some of them on you all, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home