Monday, September 25, 2006

ain't no party like a sandwich party

I highly recommend hosting a sandwich party for your next special occasion. Tell all of your guests to bring a few servings of their favorite sandwich -- storebought, homemade, whatever -- and you've got an automatically-catered fiesta where everyone can eat *something*, as long as they followed the instructions.

On Saturday several of my closest friends, my sister and I gathered on a soggy afternoon on the Upper East Side to eat sandwiches, drink wine and celebrate my 25th birthday. The menu included:

* ham, muenster cheese, lettuce, pear and honey mustard on croissants (Eliza)

* smoked turkey, american cheese, lettuce, and tomato wraps (Jessica)

* lobster salad + plain bagels (Meredith)
* magical tuna salad + bagels (Meredith)
* lox, cream cheese + bagels (Meredith really outdid herself)

* ham, turkey, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato on fresh-baked baguette from Parisi's bakery [!] (Sammi)

* prosciutto, smoked mozzarella, grilled zucchini on olive/ciabatta bread (Me, Katherine, Sabrina)

* Klondike ice cream sandwiches (clever, Becca!)

Now, as many of you may know, Sandwich is the #1 food on my Top 5 list of foods I'd have with me in perpetuity on a desert island, with no prospect of ever being rescued. In fact, Sandwich can include so many different kinds of food groups, I don't think I even need my other four options. For this same reason, however, Sandwich is a hotly debated answer to the question.

"How can someone just say 'Sandwich' or 'Pasta'," people exclaim. "It's just too broad!"

I disagree. I love me some sandwich.

What are your Top Five?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home