Monday, September 11, 2006

between the towers

In 1974, a tightrope artist called Phillipe Petit walked between the Twin Towers, which were at that time still under construction. This is a print from the children's book written and illustrated by Mordicai Gerstein, entitled, "The Man Who Walked Between the Towers." It won the Caldecott Medal for most distinguished American picture book for children in 2004.

My memories of the World Trade Center are peppered with images of storefronts and ironwrought sculptures; it was a place where we used to eat as a family at McDonald's and shop at The Children's Place, after my father was released from his occasional business meetings in the south tower. I can remember strolling there with my mother, and craning my neck until it cramped looking at the endless reflective windows, squinting into the sun.

I was not in New York City five years ago today, and so I have no personal recollection of the city on a day they say was very much like today, beautiful and clear, the chill of autumn floating in the air. What I do have is the distinct sense that no matter where you were, you can remember exactly how you felt when you found out that "9.11" was happening.

Things changed that day. For now, on this most terrible occasion, I like to think of the tightrope artist, a quarter of a mile in the sky, walking from one building to another, making a promise to himself, to his friends and to the onlookers below, that once he got to the other side, everything would be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home