Tuesday, September 26, 2006

what's a "heely"?

I get a dorky trade email from the Center for Media Research -- part of the job, I guess -- and today's article linked search engines to online shopping trends. Well, duh. But here's an interesting little chart that was pictured in today's installment:
Now. In my humble opinion, this should be three separate lists (although, as a blogger who uses "found" graphics, I can't complain since I've only to upload one graphic instead of 3). For example, if you look at it too quickly, you might think, hey, why do people go to eBay to buy lingerie and Barbie dolls? That's sort of kinky. And who goes to Home Depot for acne medicine? Doesn't make much sense.

But after I got over the side-by-side silliness of these lists, I did find the consumer trends quite interesting. eBay and craigslist, both user-generated direct commerce websites, were beating out the Waltons for most commonly searched "brands." And why not? There's something kind of comforting about the fact that you know eBay's got whatEVER you could possibly want, from the most absurdly obscure (my old roommate's wall clock, adorned with the logo of a beer company that shares her surname, Angelson) to the most absurdly expensive (Faberge eggs and sportscars). Who knows when Walmart will *ever* change their stock; it's probably as likely that they'll get caught violating trust laws before that happens. (ha!)

Anyway, for your consideration, these lists of search terms.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not your OLD room mate, I'm your FORMER room mate.

PS Anyone who can find me an actual Angelson Beer gets a kiss, or a high five - whichever seems less awkward.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home