Monday, November 27, 2006

holidays in new york

I'm listening to my favorite iTunes tunes right now -- The Complete Christmas Hits Collection, "complete" with Bing, Wham! and Mariah -- and I have to say, it feels a long way away from the steamy Brazilian climates of last week.

Yes, it's holiday season in New York, my favorite time of the year in the city, notwithstanding the crowds, the early afternoon dusks and, well, the crowds. But there is nothing more wonderful than the twinkly glow of holiday decorations on 5th Avenue at three in the morning, or 106.7FM playing the same 25 Christmas songs from midnight on Thanksgiving night thru to Christmas day, or the constant sound of wrapping paper being ripped from a fresh roll at the cash register, or the city's crisp, nose-nipping air, which always smells a little cleaner this time of year.

I had a great time in Brazil, or Brasil, as it goes down there, but I thought a lot about how hard it must be to get into the holiday spirit when it is summer that is just beginning when Thanksgiving rolls around.

Even when I lived in Hong Kong, it may not have been cold down there, but at least by December it was getting cooler. And while I was there, if I got nostalgic for holiday time in the Big Apple, my Australian friends who would regale me with tales of Christmas over a barbecue pit on the beach. As a northern hemisphere baby, I couldn't think of a bigger travesty. But where was the Christmas tree? What about running downstairs (or in my case, to the dining room) on Christmas morning and unwrapping gifts, slipper-shod and pj-clad? And what of Santa? Did he ride in on a wave, in board shorts?

Happy Holidays, wherever you are, warm or cold or in between. May your days be merry and bright and full of family, Christmas music and weekend sales.

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey Galatos said...

Well the holidays are approaching and there's the warm feeling already...this is so nice and everyone around is getting in the holiday mood...well hey do check out my Holiday Blog and share some of the holiday fun and cheer!!!!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home