Friday, December 15, 2006

Yee.

This man is my grandfather.

Weeks ago, I received a grant from the Urban Artist Initiative/New York City to write a collection of short stories about his life: coming to America from Guangzhou as a young Roman-Catholic Chinese boy; a childhood spent running around a suburb of Pittsburgh populated by Italian immigrants; an arranged marriage and an affair; and the four sons (including my father) that followed.

After his wife, my grandmother, Wai Lan, passed away at the beginning of 2006, I retrieved half-century old suitcase from what she left behind. In it, I discovered documents and photographs that span a lifetime. I hope to do his remarkable life some justice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what's funny - the expression on his face reminds me of the one on your face in that baby photo on your yearbook page where you're sitting on the bench...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home