Sunday, July 22, 2007

portfolYEEo is dead. Long live portfolYEEo.

Friends, as the countdown begins to the launch of Blue Egg — the startup website that I've been working on for the last half year – I have been thinking hard about whether or not to keep this blog going. And, after struggling with it for some time, I've not decided to entirely delete the thing, but I am going to "suspend" portfolYEEo indefinitely.

I began the blog as a way to have "Internet presence," since all of my writing had previously appeared in print. And while a blog isn't exactly a website, I did start last year by posting PDFs of travel writing and entertainment magazine clips. It's possible that no one read these; over the course of the year I didn't receive any approaches for book deals or commissions for articles. Wishful thinking!

It evolved into a way of forcing me to write everyday, without any idea of how big the audience might be [or could become]. I actually enjoyed that. I decided early on that it was not a place where I'd write about my daily routine of teeth-brushing, or about my personal life at all. To boot, when I was working for Martha Stewart, I certainly couldn't write about work. Whenever the writing would slow, I'd get emails from friends asking me where I'd gone. From friends & acquaintances, people who had never even told me they read the blog, and for whom there was no reason I would suspect they would, except out of pure curiosity.

Unfortunately, as I start writing frequently for Blue Egg, I would like to limit access to information about me, so that the writing there speaks for itself. And time. I've got none of that these days.

Anyway, I will be posting almost 4 days a week on the website (either in blog or news item or long-form feature format), so look for me there. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the same tone/voice of mine that you experience here. My first pieces are respectively about fair trade flowers, and about a man in a Florida who collected 11,000 pounds of trash — including a life-size blowup doll – out of a nature preserve in the first ten weeks of a kayak cleanup project.

July 29th. Look out world.

Thank you for spending a few minutes here when you could. I really appreciate it. I guess I hope to see you a click away.

And I will probably talk to all of you soon, some way or another.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nooooooooo.... i am devestated.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Gabriel said...

That's the bastard who "borrowed" my 11 000 lb. trash collection on my recent trip to Florida! I'll kill him!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new world awaits you with open arms, even if the arms are attached to a life sized blow up doll. PortfolYEEo will be mourned and missed.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home