Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Domestic" Trouble

My fellow urban dwellers, I thought I was exempt from the American OIL ADDICTION, but I was wrong. Here's one way it's affecting everyday people like you and me: the price of domestic airline tickets.

Let me set the scene for you -- my boyfriend is in North America right now, training for his Danish job with an American company whose worldwide headquarters are located in the quiet town of Cary, North Carolina, also the staging point for, and location of Martha Stewart's new community of styled KB Homes. (For those of you wondering, no, this is not a shameless plug, just a VERY strange coincidence.)

I would like to go visit him there this weekend, but it's a logistical nightmare. Cary's near Raleigh, and Raleigh's near, well, nothing. Trying to get down there for 24 hours was causing me a great deal of anxiety; no bus company, train option or airline company was offering me any way to resolve the limited time or finance problems that I have. After a long conversation with my beau, running through options of his coming to New York, my going by some other form of transportation, meeting halfway in Washington -- we decided it wasn't worth the hassle to try and defeat the evil airfare problem.


I became interested in other things that this amount of money can [and cannot] do for you. Did you know that one can fly to any number of perfectly lovely European destinations (and in some cases, get a night or two in a nice, 4-star hotel) for the same amount of money that it would take for a 1 hour and 40 minute plane ride to North Carolina? Well, for the price of a domestic American Airlines Eagle (1) direct flight from New York City to Raleigh, North Carolina ($832+tax), one can:

* Buy TWO 30G Video iPods ($299 a piece) and ONE Nano ($149). Of course, I won't be doing this because I am mad at Apple about the sudden death of my iPod (click-wheel, 1 1/2 year-old, B&W 40G).

* Take 9 1/2 people, at $86.25 per ticket, to see the new Broadway play starring Mark Ruffalo, called "Awake & Sing!". I *could* do this, but I just read an article today about Broadway's booming business and decided they don't need my ticket purchase anytime soon.

* Plan an $800 funeral. Morbid, I know, but this is actually one of the TOP hits when you type "$800" into a Google search. go figure.

* Fly to and from Copenhagen, one and a half-times.

I'll admit, long distance relationships are no picnic, but who would have thought that the closer we were geographically, the harder it would be to meet up?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could also fly Stockholm-London 14.7 times. Round trip.

Ditch your iPod. Not only are they stupid - they also SUCK! The other day Gabriel brought my attention to the fact that they are developing a text version of Wikipedia for the iRiver. Embrace the future! I say the pod wheel has run over its last music collection.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm totally flying to the raleigh this very weekend! 'tis a tragic coincidence if ever there was one. (long ago, when i bought my air ticket, it did not cost $842 to fly 1.5 hours.) alas that there is no way for me to bring you along.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[i definitely wrote "the raleigh." that is awesome.]

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRUST ME when i say i know what you mean about airfare woes. i definitely have had my fair share of them living in southeast alaska which is made up of islands. that trip i took to juneau a few weekends back, which is less than a 30 minute flight, cost me more than my friend's flight from san francisco to the east coast.

i still get emails from zuji and i seriously have teared up at the prices they offer for flights from hk. flying to and from wrangell is indeed pricey.

close to $900 from ny to raleigh is ridic - i'm sorry it's not going to work out.

~lisa

8:49 PM  
Blogger RenRen said...

You can fly out of JFK @ 6:30 AM, transfer at Dulles, & arrive at Raleigh by 9:00 on United for $447. You can also get a rental car for as cheap at $30 a day from Enterprise and drive 14 minutes to Cary. You can also fly out of Newark, NJ, transfer at Dulles, & arrive Raleigh the same time for $298 on United. Which website were you looking at? Which travel agency were you going to book with? Fire them! $800 something? That's more than my roundtrip flight to HK.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you finally DO see him, tell him I said hi. But don't go moving to NH or whatever~ xP

ohh PS -- I'M DONE WITH ALL MY CLASSES FOR MY UNDERGRAD CAREER! woot woot! <3

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home